"Gunfight at Wolverine": Receiving a telegram from his old Civil War buddy Dave, Hex arrives in the town of Wolverine to find that Dave is the local Sheriff. Dave is also sick with a serious cough, the seriousness of which Dave downplays as nothing but smokers cough.
- If'n yo're lookin' tuh have a shootout, yuh'll have tuh find a way tuh have it all by yoreself!
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "Gunfight at Wolverine"
- Dave Prentice (Only appearance; dies)
- Sandy Prentice (Single appearance)
- Tommy Prentice (Single appearance)
- Butch McCandless (Only appearance; dies)
- Blackie (Only appearance; dies)
- Fred (Single appearance)
- Hank (Only appearance; dies)
- Jake (Single appearance)
- Luke (Only appearance; dies)
- Wolverine, Wyoming
Synopsis for "Gunfight at Wolverine"
Receiving a telegram from his old Civil War buddy Dave, Hex arrives in the town of Wolverine to find that Dave is the local Sheriff. Dave is also sick with a serious cough, the seriousness of which Dave downplays as nothing but smokers cough.
Helping Dave fight off some of Butch McCandless' gang, Hex is brought to Dave's home to meet his family, along the way he realizes that there is a new stadium built. After their dinner is interrupted by an attack by Butch's gang, Hex is told by Dave's wife that Dave has Tuberculosis and that he's planning some kind of crazy scheme. However she doesn't get to elaborate because Dave interrupts and takes Hex out on a walk around town.
It is on this walk the Hex is offered by a blind man to sell tickets to a planned gun fight between Dave and Hex. Hex learns that this is Dave's plan to raise enough money for his family when he dies, hoping to be killed during the gun fight. Hex refuses, but Dave has him knocked out. He revives the next morning at the arena where he still refuses to shoot Dave. However, before Dave can shoot Hex, his own wife gets involved and guns Dave down to stop him from killing his friend.
When Butch arrives to take the money, Hex is forced to drop his guns, when Butch gets the drop on him. Hex however manages to throw his knife at Butch while he's busy gloating and kills him. Hex then turns over the money to Dave's wife before telling Dave's son that Dave was the faster gun and leaving town.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Western Tales Vol 1 31 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Western Tales series
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at DCU Guide
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"