"Into the Valley of Death": After their airship is gunned down, John Carter and Tars Tarkas crash-land in a primeval forest, "Valley of Heaven," where they fight off Plant Men. They're able to escape the tribe by climbing up an ice cliff. O
- Where is Dian the beautiful, you sniveling worm?
- -- David Innes
Appearing in "Into the Valley of Death"
- Princess Dejah Thoris
- Sola (daughter of Tars Tarkas)
- Woola (guard dog)
- Plant Men
- Thuvia the Huntress (First appearance)
- Banths (Martian lions)
- Cham (a winged lion) (Cameo)
- River Iss (River of Death)
- Valley Dor (Valley of Heaven)
- A"Fortress of Hell"
Synopsis for "Into the Valley of Death"
After their airship is gunned down, John Carter and Tars Tarkas crash-land in a primeval forest, "Valley of Heaven," where they fight off Plant Men. They're able to escape the tribe by climbing up an ice cliff. Once at the top, they enter a magnificent castle guarded by several lions. As they fight off the animals, a greater foe awaits them beyond the dark corridors -- Thuvia the Huntress.
Meanwhile, Dejah Thoris and Sola land their damaged aircraft in the middle of an endless desert. They're greeted by a dangerous looking winged lion roaring at them. To be continued.
Appearing in "Temple of the Damned!"
- Mahars (Pterodactyls)
- Sagoths (ape men)
- Chief Ja the Mezop
- Ghak, King of Sari
- Hooja the sly one
- Temple of the Mahars
Synopsis for "Temple of the Damned!"
For rescuing a tribal chief earlier, David Innes is welcomed back as a hero to the village. Together, he and the rescued chief go to the feeding pools of the Mahars (reptilian birds), and spy upon the many humans who are being massacred in a sacrificial ritual. A tremor occurs, and David falls into the pool. When he comes up for air from the bloody waters, the slaves, winged creatures and the chief have all vanished. Alone, David heads to the beach in hopes of finding a boat to sail for the mainland, but he is suddenly attacked by a giant lizard. Appearing out of nowhere, the chief saves him and offers David his boat. He sails back to the land of Phutra to greet his friends, but several of the reptilian birds have followed him home. To be continued.
- "Into the Valley of Death" is adapted from Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel The Gods of Mars.
- "Temple of the Damned!" is adapted from Edgar Rice Burroughs' novel At the Earth's Core.
- "Temple of the Damned!" ink credit is "C. Bunkers" (Crusty Bunker), which was actually several inkers collaborating together. Bernie Wrightson, Jim Starlin, Larry Hama, Ralph Reese, Neal Adams and Greg Theakston.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Worlds Vol 1 3 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Worlds series
Links and References
- No external links.