Billy Batson was active as a superhero known as Captain Marvel, until the world had changed around him to the point where he stopped calling on the name of Shazam. Somewhere along the line as he grew into adulthood, Billy became a servant to Lex Luthor, becoming brainwashed through torture into believing that all superheroes were monsters and that he also had a monster within himself. Bruce Wayne, who temporarily aligned himself with Luthor's Mankind Liberation Front to discover his plans concerning the Justice League and the meta-human "Gulag", tried to reason with Billy when he also discovered Luthor's torture methods. Instead of listening, Billy fled and called on Shazam to become Captain Marvel, using the lightning power to break open the "Gulag" and to cause a massive meta-human war that threatened to engulf the Earth. As the Secretary-General of the United Nations sent the Blackhawk Squadron to drop nuclear bombs that would destroy most meta-human life forms, Superman found himself relentlessly pummelled by Captain Marvel's lightning bolts until he ended up having Billy be struck by one of them, changing him back to Billy Batson. After Superman told Billy about the nuclear bomb that's about to drop on the warring superheroes, he transformed back into Captain Marvel and outraced Superman to reach the bomb first, calling upon Shazam's lightning power to ignite the bomb before it struck the earth, sacrificing himself in the process. The surviving heroes remembered this sacrifice by having Captain Marvel's cape be hung among the flags of the United Nations member countries as a memorial.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Divine Empowerment - All of the powers granted collection of six by gods and figures of legend either directly or through Shazam.
- Accelerated Healing
- Clairvoyance: The ability to understand situations from many angles, including future and past consequences with superhuman clarity and accuracy.
- Divine Grace: Innate luck and divine guidance that allows finesse in actions and dealings with others.
- Eidetic Memory
- Magic Resistance
- Enhanced Intellect: Intellect and wisdom are heightened to superhuman levels. This also provides great or comprehensive knowledge in many areas, including:
- Flight: The ability to hover or soar at high speed through an act of sheer will.
- Healing: The ability to use the transformative lightning to heal others or ones self instantly.
- Indomitable Will: An incredible amount of willpower that allows perseverance in overwhelming odds and seemingly unbeatable situations.
- Self-Sustenance: The ability to survive without sleep, food, water, or air.
- Superhuman Speed: The ability to run or fly at incredible rates of speed.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Agility
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength
- Teleportation: The ability to access the Rock of Eternity.
- Transformation: The ability to transform from a mortal to the entity empowered by the six.
- 5 Appearances of William Batson (Earth-22)
- 1 Images featuring William Batson (Earth-22)
- Quotations by or about William Batson (Earth-22)
- Character Gallery: William Batson (Earth-22)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: