This is an in-universe article with out-of-universe material.
What little is known about William Omaha McElroy before he fell victim to the amnesia and delusional thinking that transformed him into the "overstuffed monarch" known as King Tut is that he was a professor of Egyptology at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut. Professor McElroy fell victim to the amnesia and delusional thinking in question in the midst of a student riot at the university where he taught, in whose course he was struck on the head.
Among his plans to take over Gotham City, which he mistook for the city of Thebes, the ancient capital of Egypt, during his periods of amnesiac delusional thinking was spiking the city's water supply with Abu raubu simbu tu. ("The Spell Of Tut"/"Tut's Case Is Shut") This ancient will-paralyzing drug, against intoxication with which consumption of buttermilk (which stimulated the stomach lining into the secretion of a heavier coating of protective mucus than usual and thus prevented the drug's absorption into the bloodstream) was the only known preventative, had to be synthesized from a species of scarab beetle of which Tut succeeded in reviving the few remaining specimens.
McElroy, as Tut, was one of at least two Bat-Enemies (Egghead being another) who learned the secret of Batman's civilian identity of Bruce Wayne but was prevented from revealing it. In his case, as made clear in "I'll Be A Mummy's Uncle," he learned it while amnesiac and delusional, but was prevented from revealing it by having his normal personality restored.
- Victor Buono (1938-1982) played William McElroy, alias King Tut. As Adam West explained to Jeff Rovin in Back To The Batcave, King Tut was the only villain specifically created for the 1960s Batman series who really caught on with viewers.
- Buono said, on a late-night talk show, "Being on Batman allowed me to do what we actors are taught never to do, overact."
- 17 Appearances of William McElroy (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 3 Images featuring William McElroy (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- 1 Quotations by or about William McElroy (Batman 1966 TV Series)
- Character Gallery: William McElroy (Batman 1966 TV Series)
|1966-1968 Batman television series and the 1966 Batman feature film. This template will categorize articles that include it into Batman TV Series Characters.|
|Batman Villain(s) from the 1966 series |
This character, team or organization, was primarily an enemy of the Batman in either the 1966 film or related television show. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Batman (1966 TV Series) Villains category."