|Real Name||William Asmodeus Zard|
|Current Alias||The Wizard|
|Aliases||Frederick P. Garth|
|Affiliation||The Secret Society of Super-Villains, the Injustice Society, Injustice Unlimited|
|Base Of Operations||Mobile|
|Universe||Earth-Two, New Earth|
|Created by||Gardner Fox, Irwin Hasen|
William Zard, alias the Wizard was a professional criminal from an early age. He trained under a Lama in Tibet in order to learn the ways of magic before becoming a supervillain.
In the 1940s he clashed repeatedly with the Justice Society of America, first solo and then as the leader of the Injustice Society of the World, a group consisting initially of himself, Per Degaton, Brain Wave, Vandal Savage, the Thinker and the Gambler, and later including the Icicle, Fiddler, Sportsmaster, Huntress and Harlequin.
He continued to clash with various superheroes over the years, including the Justice League of America, forming the Crime Champions. He eventually became first a member and then the leader of the Secret Society of Super Villains (at which point he adopted a new costume after acquiring three magical weapons, the Energy Prism, the Power Glove and the Cloak of Invisibility, collectively known as the Sorcerer's Treasures). Later, he battled Infinity Inc as the leader of Injustice Unlimited and later as the consort of the Lorelei, the ruler of Grimmworld. His aging was greatly slowed due to his magical powers and to having drank from the Fountain of Youth on Grimmworld (he was born in 1913 but still appears to be only in his fifties at most). He continues to operate both solo and as a member of various iterations of these groups.
Holy anachronisms, Batman!
This article is in need of updated information.
- Magic: Though he originally relied on Tibetan techniques, he later acquired actual magical powers
- Tibetan Occultism
- Wand of Glastonbury: provides stronger magic.
- Energy Prism: provides Deflection
- Power Glove: provides Energy Projection
- Cloak of Invisibility: provides Invisibility
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-Two era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985-86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and no longer apply.
- The Wizard was given the "real" name Frederick P. Garth in Action Comics #484, but later renamed to William Asmodeus Zard.
- In DCU Villains Secret Files and Origins #1, the Wizard is inexplicably depicted with no beard and brown hair.
- 89 Appearances of William Zard (New Earth)
- 12 Images featuring William Zard (New Earth)
- 2 Quotations by or about William Zard (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: William Zard (New Earth)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for:
|Justice Society Villain(s) |
This character, team or organization is or was primarily an enemy of the Justice Society, in any of its various incarnations. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Justice Society Villains" category.