"Paradise Lost!": As Diana returns to Themyscira, the Gods of Olympus continue to celebrate Ares' defeat, and the Amazons responsible. Zeus is particularly enthralled with the Amazons; eventually, he follows the suggestions of the nature-god Pan and descends to Themyscira, meaning to share his "
- For days now, I've sensed impending danger - and yet I have said nothing! How could I, when to speak the source of the danger would make a mockery of all I have ever believed!
- -- Menalippe
Appearing in "Paradise Lost!"
- Doom's Doorway (First full appearance)
Synopsis for "Paradise Lost!"
As Diana returns to Themyscira, the Gods of Olympus continue to celebrate Ares' defeat, and the Amazons responsible. Zeus is particularly enthralled with the Amazons; eventually, he follows the suggestions of the nature-god Pan and descends to Themyscira, meaning to share his "personal favor" with its all-female populace. This does not go unnoticed by Artemis, who enlists Athena and Hera as allies against Zeus' lust.
On Themyscira, the Amazons' Council of Justice analyze the souvenirs Diana has brought from Man's World, and debate the merits of further cultural exchange; meanwhile, Menalippe ponders recent omens that suggest dangers from Olympus. These omens become reality when Zeus tries to seduce Diana and is refused, greatly angering the proud God. Zeus is further enraged when confronted by Queen Hippolyte, but is pulled back to Olympus by Hera before he can retaliate.
Shortly after, Diana is summoned to Olympus, where a full assembly of Gods present her with a new quest. She is to brave the demon-filled caves beneath Themyscira, where each God will present her with a different challenge, and ultimately retrieve Zeus' greatest treasure. Only by completing this quest can she regain Olympus' favor, and determine her true destiny. These conditions dismay Queen Hippolyte, but Diana, anxious for purpose and unwilling to further defy her Gods, accepts.
At midnight, a fully-armed Diana enters Doom's Doorway, the gate that separates Themyscira from its imprisoned demons. Almost immediately, she is attacked by Cottus, a hundred-handed giant whom she eventually slays. Her next opponent, however, is an an even deadlier monster: the fire-breathing, seven-headed Hydra.
- This issue is reprinted in Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Gods (Collection) and Wonder Woman by George Pérez Omnibus
- Diana finds several cartridge shells behind Doom's Doorway. The significance of these will be explained in issue #12.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Wonder Woman Vol 2 10 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Wonder Woman series
- Images from Wonder Woman Vol 2 10
Links and References
- No external links.