- I've done more killing in these darkling depths than I ever dreamed possible...and frankly I can stomach no more!!
- -- Wonder Woman
Appearing in "Challenge of the Gods - Demonplague"
- Chimera (First appearance)
- Echidna (Death)
- Minotaur (First appearance; dies)
- Polyphemus, the Cyclops (First appearance; dies)
- Green Lantern Corps of Earth Headquarters
- Home of Everett & Edna Aanonson
Synopsis for "Challenge of the Gods - Demonplague"
Even as Hippolyte, searching the netherworld for her daughter, comes upon the Cyclops Polyphemus, in Olympus, Zeus discovers that Pan has been slain and replaced by a Manhunter, and that it was this impostor who had incited the ruler of the gods to send Princess Diana on her quest. An angry Hera then takes charge, and sends Hermes to warn the Amazon Princess.
So it is that Wonder Woman abruptly vanishes from the midst of the super-heroes gathered at the Green Lantern Citadel, and is returned by Hermes to the world beyond Doom's Doorway where her mother baffles Polyphemus.
Wonder Woman uses her magic lasso to bind the Cyclops, but before the two Amazons can proceed, Hippolyte is downed by a burst of flame as she tries to free Heracles, still transformed into a pillar of stone and tormented by harpies.
When Diana flies to her rescue, the two warrior women quickly find themselves locked in combat with the Minotaur, the Chimera, and the demoness Echidna. Hippolyte succeeds in beheading Echidna, and before the Minotaur can resume his attack, Polyphemus reappears, blindly grasps the man-bull, and prepares to devour him. The rock bridge on which the combatants stand collapses, and both Cyclops and Minotaur plunge into darkness.
Then the goddess Harmonia appears, returning Diana's lasso and bestowing upon her a talisman with which "only she who is pure of essence can capture the demons within this crypt". The Chimera and harpies having fled, Diana binds her mother and the transformed Heracles together with the lasso. The two ancient enemies see through each other's eyes at last, and as Heracles's stony skin begins to fall away, a horde of fiery demons is released and streaks toward the doorway leading to the outside world. Wonder Woman uses all her speed to outdistance the demons, then blocks their path, holding Harmonia's talisman before her.
Earthquakes rock Paradise Island and the world beyond, but Wonder Woman stands fast, and at last all the demons are contained within the amulet.
Suddenly, Diana is transported to the realm of Ares, who demands the amulet. It flies to him, and he absorbs the power of the demons, which are the legendary creatures from Pandora's box, and thus regains the "ultimate power of destruction" which is rightfully his, and disappears.
Wonder Woman is dismayed, but Harmonia, reclaiming her talisman, reassures her that all is well and that the proper balance of power has now been restored.
As Harmonia vanishes, Hermes appears and informs Diana that she must now return to Man's World and seek out Pan's Manhunter impersonator and slay him.
- This issue is a "Millennium" Week Five tie-in issue.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Wonder Woman Vol 2 13 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Wonder Woman series
Links and References
- Wonder Woman article at Wikipedia
- Wonder Woman at the DCU Guide
- Wonder Woman Pages
- Wonder Woman index at Dark Mark's Indexing Domain
- Wonder Woman fan page at Suffering Sappho
- Wonder Woman at TV Tropes
- Woman Wonder Woman at Arkhampedia
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2) series index at Comicbookdb.com
|Millennium Crossover |
The events from this issue are related to Millennium, a 1988 crossover event spanning through all DC Titles, in which the Guardians of the Universe left and Earth was put in danger by the robotic Manhunter Cult.