"Swan Song": Wonder Woman experiences sensual dreams of Superman, which distress her - especially since she cannot confide in Julia, currently visiting family in Greece, or Steve and Etta, who are busy developing their own romance. Meanwhile, Mayer Publicists, Inc. plans a Wonder Woman Fair for
- Your precious friend is Armbruster's Frankenstein, Miss Sterenbuch... the Silver Swan... the monster I have sworn to destroy!
Appearing in "Swan Song"
- Henry Cobb Armbruster (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Mike "Skeeter La Rue" Boyd
- Professor Benjamin Buchman (Dies in flashback)
- Solomon Buchman (First appearance)
- Allison Clooney (First appearance)
- Eileen Flowers
- Inspector Ed Indelicato (First appearance)
- Deni Hayes (First appearance)
- Mrs. Kafora (First appearance)
- Barry Locatelli
- Murray (Single appearance)
- Maxine Sterenbuch (First appearance) (Flashback and main story)
- Steve London
- Superman (In dream sequence only)
- Woodworth (Flashback only)
Synopsis for "Swan Song"
Wonder Woman experiences sensual dreams of Superman, which distress her - especially since she cannot confide in Julia, currently visiting family in Greece, or Steve and Etta, who are busy developing their own romance. Meanwhile, Mayer Publicists, Inc. plans a Wonder Woman Fair for the Boston Common, with all proceeds going to charity (but most of the credit unjustly claimed by new executive Skeeter Boyd).
Miles from both parties, Boston resident Maxine Sterenbuch is attacked by a Chinatown tough, only to be saved by a stranger named Solomon Buchman. Buchman proceeds to confront her with evidence that she'd been attacked because of her friendship with Valerie Beaudry, paramour to millionaire industrialist Henry Cobb Armbruster. Valerie, to Maxine's shock, had been born heavily disfigured by nuclear radiation; this radiation also gave her the ability to produce ultrasonic sounds, which Armbruster's company exploited, cybernetically converting Valerie into a beautiful enforcer code-named the Silver Swan.
Buchman then explains his own connection to the Swan: his father had been the head technician in Valerie's conversion, as well as the Swan's first kill. He thus pursues revenge on the Swan - a pursuit that Maxine reluctantly joins, suspecting Armbruster will not permit any loose-ends from Valerie's former life. In truth, Armbruster now considers Maxine largely neutralized; his next focus is the Wonder Woman Fair, whose star the Swan is deeply jealous of.
The fair opens on-schedule, attended by many of Wonder Woman's friends and admirers as well as Maxine and Buchman. As always, Wonder Woman remains ambivalent about her celebrity - an ambivalence quickly replaced with horror when the Swan descends from the sky and attacks
- This issue is reprinted in the following:
- Despite the similar names, Armbruster's associate Choi appears to have no relations with Ryan Choi.
- Buchman yells what is presumably Chinese to distract Kwan, though the actual lettering depicts a string of gibberish.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Wonder Woman Vol 2 15 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Wonder Woman series
- Images from Wonder Woman Vol 2 15
Links and References
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2) series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Wonder Woman (Volume 2) series index at Comicbookdb.com