"The Clash of Cape and Cowl": During his childhood, Bruce Wayne lived with his father Thomas Wayne, who was a prominent scientist. Thomas Wayne was an advocate of justice and as such, he started working with Green Kryptonite in order t
Appearing in "The Clash of Cape and Cowl"
- Lex Luthor (Flashback and main story)
- Superboy Robot (Flashback and main story)
- Martha Wayne (In a photograph only)
- Brainiac (Mentioned only)
- Crime Doctor (Mentioned only)
- Flying Graysons (Mentioned only)
Synopsis for "The Clash of Cape and Cowl"
During his childhood, Bruce Wayne lived with his father Thomas Wayne, who was a prominent scientist. Thomas Wayne was an advocate of justice and as such, he started working with Green Kryptonite in order to find an antidote that would help the young hero known as Superboy, who was vulnerable to the strange mineral. Thomas Wayne informed Superboy about his investigation, but he couldn't provide him with the antidote because it has not been yet tested. Unfortunately, that same night, Thomas Wayne is murdered in his laboratory and Bruce enters the room as the killer is leaving in a hurry. Bruce is shocked with grief and he realizes that the kryptonite solution had been stolen. Assuming that Superboy was responsible for the murder of his father, Bruce makes a vow to get revenge upon Superboy and so he startes training to become the world's greatest detective and the best crime-fighter.
Years later, Bruce Wayne adopts the masked identity of Batman and soon, he adopts Dick Grayson, another orphan who would later become Batman's partner in crime-fighting, Robin. Batman and Robin become notorious in Gotham City, but the team dissolves once Robin learns about Batman's hatred towards the now grown-up, Superman. Robin decides to levae Batman after he was abruptly slapped on the face for trying to support Superman.
Going on with his personal vendetta, Batman tries to find evidence of Superman's guilt over his father's death and for this purpose, he infiltrates Superman's Fortress of Solitude, seeking the kryptonite solution his father created. When he can't find the chemical, Batman decides to team-up with Superman's greatest villain, Lex Luthor in order to bring the man of steel down. Batman and Luthor manage to trap Superman using kryptonite, but before they could eliminate the kryptonian, Batman realizes that Luthor is the criminal responsible for his father's murder. Batman releases Superman, but he is hurt badly by one of Luthor's weapons in the process. Superman defeats Luthor and he talks to Batman, who is dying. With his last breath, Batman apologizes to Superman for holding a grudge of a lifetime against him and Superman makes sure that Luthor meets the justice he deserves.
Appearing in "The Boy Who Changed the Future"
Synopsis for "The Boy Who Changed the Future"
This story is reprinted from Strange Adventures #21.
- The Clash of Cape and Cowl was originally published as an imaginary story, a story outside of regular continuity. In Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Compendium, it was retconned as having happened on another Earth, (Earth-153).
- "My Parents Are Dead" meme is from this issue. The "Batman slaps Robin" panel that launched the
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss World's Finest Vol 1 153 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the World's Finest series
- Images from World's Finest Vol 1 153