"Evil in Paradise": After a new island with a primitive civilization is discovered near the Antarctica, a couple of American anthropologists are determined to prove the good or evil nature of humans who had not been exposed to the "higher" form of civilization. [[Kal-El, Jr. (Earth-154)|Supe
Appearing in "Evil in Paradise"
- Doctor Forbes (Single appearance)
- Oonak (Only appearance; dies)
- Omar Benson (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "Evil in Paradise"
After a new island with a primitive civilization is discovered near the Antarctica, a couple of American anthropologists are determined to prove the good or evil nature of humans who had not been exposed to the "higher" form of civilization. Superman, Jr. and Batman Jr. become aware of this project and following their own beliefs, they set out to help the scientist who each of them believe is right.
Superman Jr. helps Dr. Forbes, the scientist who believes that human nature is good, while Batman Jr. goes to help Omar Benson, who believes that humans are evil. After the initial developments in each study, everything seems to point to Forbes' theory that the tribe on the island are good and Benson starts creating odd conditions to put the inhabitants under stress. The experiment is taken far beyond the limits of science when Benson decides to kidnap Oonak, the tribes's leader, and expose him to inhuman conditions. When none of his efforts prove his theory, Benson attacks Oonak, but in the struggle the scientist is accidentally killed. Batman Jr. believes that the theory about these men being evil has just been proved, until an earthquake hits the island and he is saved from a certain death by Oonak, the same man he helped torture, who sacrifices his own life to do so. Superman Jr. and Batman Jr. save the rest of the tribe, the theory about the inhabitants being evil is proved wrong and Batman Jr. feels guilty for having helped such a crooked man to cause stress on innocent people.
- The story was divided in two separate chapter titles, besides the main title:
- Part 2 The Human Test Tube
- Part 3 Who the Killer, Who the Prey?
- In the final frame of the story, Superman Jr. asks Dr. Forbes "So what's the verdict on human nature now -- angel or ape?" Forbes replies "I'd say Oonak and his people belong on the angelic side... but as for the rest of our sad, old world, there's no easy answer to that!" A closing panel then invited readers to write in with their thoughts on the subject, which read as follows: "What's your opinion, World's Finest fans? We'd like to hear!"
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss World's Finest Vol 1 222 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the World's Finest series
Links and References
- No external links.