"Superman & Batman: "The Super-Foes from Planet X"": Superman is flying over Metropolis when a voice calls out in his mind warning him that there is a Solar Sponge that is attacking Metropolis beach. When he arrives there he learns that [[Bruce Wayne (Earth-One)|Batman
- We have many strange exhibits in our trophy room, but this is the first time we'll display a WHALE!
- -- Green Arrow
Appearing in Superman & Batman: "The Super-Foes from Planet X"
- Metropolis Beach
- Barren Island
- Colossal Caverns
- Planet X
Synopsis for Superman & Batman: "The Super-Foes from Planet X"
Superman is flying over Metropolis when a voice calls out in his mind warning him that there is a Solar Sponge that is attacking Metropolis beach. When he arrives there he learns that Batman and Robin were also summoned by the same voice. They watch the Solar Sponge absorb sunlight and give off great heat of such intensity it is fusing the sand on the beach into glass. Superman deduces that the best way to defeat it is by overloading it with too much energy, causing it to explode.
Next they are warmed of a storm-top (a spinning object that creates thunder storms) that is spinning through the ocean. Batman and Robin come up with a solution to defeating this threat: Having Superman construct a ramp, Batman and Robin coat it with an oil slick with the Batplane. When the storm-top goes up the ramp it is launched as such a velocity that it flies out of Earth's atmosphere, ending its threat.
Their next threat is an insect creature called a Crawler. The size of a normal insect, it causes any who get near to it to shrink in size the longer they are far away from it. Realizing the source of this creatures power comes from the vibrations coming from its antennae, they lure the creature into a cigar box and Superman tears off it's antennae, causing them to return to their original sizes.
They are then called by the voice for help and follow it to a nearby cave where they find an alien creature being terrorized by a robot. As they attempt to approach the robot they are suddenly trapped in strange force-field barriers. Batman deduces that they are made out of x-rays and that lead will be able to penetrate them. Using one of his lead lined gas capsules and a Batarang, Batman manages to knock the capsule across the room and hit the deactivation button freeing them. The alien that was in trouble then appears and explains to them that this was all a test. He explains that he comes from Planet X, a world where their society is so scientifically advanced that they have relied heavily on machines to do everything for them that they have forgotten how to deal with dangers on their own.
Realizing this being a potential problem in the future, they decided to test Batman, Superman and Robin on various common threats on Planet X to see how they would improvise to deal with them. Satisfied with how the three heroes disarmed the threats, they thank them for their help and return to their world. As they depart, the three heroes feel glad that they were able to help.
Appearing in Tomahawk: "Tomahawk's Pony Partner"
Synopsis for Tomahawk: "Tomahawk's Pony Partner"
Appearing in Green Arrow: "Five Clues to Danger"
- Professor Anderson (Single appearance)
- Whale Island
Synopsis for Green Arrow: "Five Clues to Danger"
Green Arrow and Speedy are out looking for Professor Anderson, a man who is a good friend of Oliver Queen who was lost at sea just as he was about to perfect a way of creating real diamonds artificially. After finding his wrecked ship, the Professor is presumed dead and two days later Oliver is given the last of the Professors worldly possessions: A harmonica, a watch, a packet of old letters, a copy of the almanac and an elephant statue.
That night crooks then break into Oliver's home and steal the these items, Oliver and Roy chase after the crooks as Green Arrow and Speedy and manage to stop them and learn what they had stolen. As Green Arrow and Speedy examine the items with more scrutiny, on Whale Island a number of mobsters have the Professor hostage and are trying to bully the secret of artificial diamonds out of him. Suddenly, Green Arrow and Speedy smash through the window and easily defeat the crooks. Afterwards, Green Arrow shows Speedy how the first letter of each of the items they had inherited spelled out a clue that revealed the professors location.
- "The Super-Foes from Planet X" is reprinted in World's Finest #161 and World's Finest Comics Archives #2.
- Green Arrow and Speedy appeared last in Adventure Comics #251. They appear next in Adventure Comics #252.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss World's Finest Vol 1 96 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the World's Finest series
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 1)
- Batman (Volume 2)
- Batman (Volume 3)
- All-Star Batman
- Batman and Robin (Volume 1)
- Batman and Robin (Volume 2)
- Batman Confidential
- Batman: Gotham Knights
- Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight
- Batman: Shadow of the Bat
- Batman: Streets of Gotham
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 1)
- Batman Incorporated (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 1)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (Volume 2)
- Detective Comics (Volume 1)
- Detective Comics (Volume 2)
- Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Links and References
- World's Finest Comics series index at DC Indexes
- World's Finest Comics series index at Comicbookdb.com
- World's Finest Comics series index at the Grand Comics Database