Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the 2011 initiative, the New 52, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation's. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
Yolanda Montez was raised alongside her cousin Alejandro as both were born merely minutes apart; she thinks of him as more of a brother than a cousin and is very protective of him. After a scuffle in a local library, where Yolanda sends Alejandro's assailants running, he collapses which led Yolanda to look after him (despite doctors finding nothing wrong with him). It is then revealed that Alejandro had been chosen by The Red to be its avatar however Yolanda volunteers to take his place because they share blood and she is transformed into the champion of the Red though Alejandro is made to forget her. She was subsequently sent to the Tower of Fate, where she became its "Great Beast" until a time when she would be needed. In her time as that beast, she fought with the second batch of the Wonders of the World upon them entering the Tower.
Yolanda is captured by DeSaad who used her to power a firepit. DeSaad also used her DNA to create clones which he ordered to attack the Wonders who had come to stop the looming attack of Apokolips. During the almost insurmountable attack, the original Superman (now powerless due to DeSaad's experimenting) sacrifices himself to destroy the clones and to free Yolanda thus indirectly killing all the Parademons. Now free, Yolanda joined the other avatars to defend the Earth.
However, when Deathspawn attacks Earth's Parliament and kills the embodiment of The Blue, and its avatar, it also disrupts the powers of the other avatars. The Parliament then instruct Alan Scott to unite the five powers in order to save the world, instead of combining with Yolanda as he had with the other avatars he sets her down on Earth.
- Claws: Still capable of summoning a small portion of The Red, Yolanda is capable of creating claws on her fingers capable of tearing through metal easily.
- Enhanced Sense of Smell: Yolanda has shown the ability to smell Deimos' fear of Telos.
- Yolanda Montez was created in 1985 by Roy Thomas, Dann Thomas, Don Newton and Tim Burgard, first appearing in Infinity Inc. #12. In 2011, DC relaunched its line of comics and rebooted their universe's timeline. The character was heavily revamped by James Robinson and Nicola Scott for Earth 2 (Volume 1). This is the version of the character that began with their run.
- 23 Appearances of Yolanda Montez (Earth 2)
- 4 Images featuring Yolanda Montez (Earth 2)
- Quotations by or about Yolanda Montez (Earth 2)
- Character Gallery: Yolanda Montez (Earth 2)