Yu-El was a native of the planet, Krypton and lived in the original capital city of Kandor during the latter half of the first Kryptonian millennium. He was the son of Im-El and the brother of Pir-El. Although many of his immediate family members became world renowned statesmen, Yu-El preferred a life of piety and maintained a modest career as a priest of Rao. In Kryptonian year 9852, Yu-El's nephew, Tala-El, approached him along with three dignitaries to ask his assistance in arbitrating a dispute concerning the future of Kryptonian government. Yu-El declared that only Rao possessed the authority to make such a judgment and instructed them to embark upon a task. They were to gather on the Plain of Wanan outside the city of Kandor to wait out an approaching thunderstorm. Each delegate would carry with him a lightning rod, and whoever's rod was not struck by lightning, would cast the deciding vote for the federation. Tala-El won the contest and from that moment on, Kryptonian government evolved as a technocracy. Yu-El continued to serve as a priest of Rao until the time of his passing.
Yu-El possessed no superhuman powers while living under a red sun. Had he existed on a world revolving around a yellow sun, he would have developed physical attributes equitable to that of Superman.
- This version of Yu-El (Earth-One), including all history and corresponding appearances, was initially erased from existence following the collapse of the original Multiverse in the 1985–86 Crisis on Infinite Earths limited series. However the ending of Convergence retroactively prevented that collapse, saving all the alternate realities, though in an "evolved" form. Even though versions of the character may have since appeared, this information does not apply to those versions.
- Yu-El's final fate has never been revealed, but it is reasonable to assume that he passed away of natural causes long before the ultimate destruction of Krypton.
- As Yu-El grew older, he required a cane to assist him with walking.
- Yu-El is a great uncle (many generations removed) of Superman. Whether Yu-El sired any children of his own remains unknown.
- 1 Appearances of Yu-El (Earth-One)
- 1 Images featuring Yu-El (Earth-One)
- Quotations by or about Yu-El (Earth-One)
- Character Gallery: Yu-El (Earth-One)