Zaora is one of the criminals of Krypton who was placed in the Phantom Zone by Superboy's father Jor-El in the Pocket Universe. When Lex Luthor used one of Superboy's devices in his underground lab to find where Superboy disappeared to, he accidentally accessed the Phantom Zone where he found Zod, who called himself Von-El who along with his wife Mara and his associate Ston-Ar who trapped in that place following the destruction of Krypton. Zod helped Luthor reassemble the Phantom Zone projector stored in Superboy's lab in order to free the three of them, who then proceeded to destroy the projector as well as the lab, with Mara and Ston-Ar revealing themselves to be Zaora and Quex-Ul. From that point on, Zod, Zaora, and Quex-Ul terrorized Earth, making themselves its rulers and killing anyone that got in their way. However, Lex Luthor assembled himself a fighting force which included a Supergirl of his own creation that managed to hold their own against three escaped Phantom Zone criminals. Zod decided that the Earth beings were no longer fit subjects to rule over, and so with Zaora and Quex-Ul he killed all of them except for those inside Luthor's Smallville citadel by destabilizing the Earth's core, causing the atmosphere to be instantly destroyed.
After Lex Luthor had sent Supergirl to the New Earth reality to contact Superman and then transported both heroes to the Pocket Universe, Zod, Zaora, and Quex-Ul engaged them and the rest of Luthor's resistance team in battle, destroying the Smallville citadel, killing all the resistance team members, and turning Supergirl into a melted puddle of protoplasm. Superman traveled to Superboy's underground lab and, finding the Gold Kryptonite sample there, used it to depower Zod, Zaora, and Quex-Ul, capturing them inside the lab now turned into a prison. Though Zod taunted Superman by saying he will find a way to restore his powers and then come to the New Earth to destroy its Earth, he and the other two Phantom Zone criminals were subjected to fatal exposure to Green Kryptonite radiation as their sentence. Zaora uselessly pleaded to Superman for her life to be spared, promising him pleasures that he never dreamed of as she died. All three of them were buried on the Pocket Universe Earth.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zaora possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Zaora's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. Her biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and her bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Zaora can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. She can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Zaora' hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, she can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision Zaora's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Zaora can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. She can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, she can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows her to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Zaora's can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. She can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived - such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans - is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Zaora's can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Zaora is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of her dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Zaora is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, her extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Zaora is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on her body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Zaora's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of her musculature. Her strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables her to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Zaora is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to her perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Zaora is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from her lungs. She can chill the air as it leaves her lungs to freeze targets. She can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into her lungs.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zaora possesses the same potential weaknesses as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Zaora is based on Faora, the Phantom Zone criminal from the pre-Crisis Earth-One universe.
- Zaora reappeared with the other Phantom Zone criminals to torment Superman in the Superman Annual (vol. 2) #10 story "The Death Sentence", which was part of the Ghosts storyline.
- 8 Appearances of Zaora (Pocket Universe)
- 2 Images featuring Zaora (Pocket Universe)
- Quotations by or about Zaora (Pocket Universe)
- Character Gallery: Zaora (Pocket Universe)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."