Zebulon McCandless was a very grim and pious Christian American general during World War Two. He was also an associate of the 1940's superhero team, the Paladins who contributed their efforts in the Second World War. When a Daemonite flying saucer crash landed in Nevada's Black Rock Desert, McCandless oversaw the capture of the spaceship and its remaining crew, and from the initial discovery of the crash allows a facility built around the spacecraft. Zebulon soon later looked over and learned from the remaining Daemonite scientist, Slyxx, of the spaceship's teleportation, virtual reality and suspended animation technology, and an impossible idea occurred to him. He began drafting a plan to capture Earth's generation of heroes and train them to fight off the End of Days. The American military then plan to capture the Paladins by having them first sent to observe the Atomic bombing of Hiroshima, Japan, and then having unwittingly teleported to where the facility built around the saucer, known later on as N.O.T.B. 1. Zebulon and his program, code name the "Number of The Beast (NOTB)", have the Paladins and their enemies, who were similarly captured, placed in suspended animation, and so almost sixty years, the Paladins protected "the City" (the name of the simulation) from the portents of Christian eschatology.
McCandless also collaborated with Miles Craven and Henry Bendix to form a cabal within the US Government, concerned with monitoring and responding to the planet's growing number of costumed post-humans.
By 2008, Zebulon has been retire from his duty. Unbeknown to him as of yet, the N.O.T.B. 1 bunker was inadvertently compromised when the remains of The High was regenerated anew due to the alien technology of the facility, and broke free of the imprisoned heroes and villains there. Ironically, Zebulon's fear and expectation of the Apocalypse was all his undoing when the American government's Reapers, the High's clones, were task in destroying the Paladins and their villains if they ever escape from the NOTB bunker, cause the "End of Times" by exploding themselves over the Earth and creating a fallout over the planet. After the World's End had occurred, Zebulon took shelter in Flaming Gorge Reservoir, Wyoming, and was tracked down by members of the Paladins: Engine Joe, Mago, and Tumbleweed. Engine Joe then stated to Zebulon that he and others involved in the NOTB program will be held accountable for the world's current condition.
- Zebulon was first mentioned in Wildstorm: Revelations #5 prior to his appearance in Number of the Beast.
- During the 1940's Zebulon had a strained association with Dr. Jacob Krigstein and his "works", in which he labeled them as abominations.
- Due to his zealous beliefs, McCandless is obviously seen by some as a very deluded (if not crazy) person, especially with his Christian belief of the Apocalypse. Furthermore to his beliefs, he possessed a problem towards black magics namely with Paladin member Mago.
- 3 Appearances of Zebulon McCandless (Wildstorm Universe)
- 1 Images featuring Zebulon McCandless (Wildstorm Universe)
- 1 Quotations by or about Zebulon McCandless (Wildstorm Universe)
- Character Gallery: Zebulon McCandless (Wildstorm Universe)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- Search the Forums for: